Petrukhin Eduard Viktorovich


He was born in April 25, 1963 in Tula. He got his education in a railway technical college and in a military school. Petrukhin also worked as an electric locomotive fireman. He passed involuntary service of the USSR Armed forces. During that time, he enrolled in a military school. Then he worked in the Road Inspection Service (DPS) of the Russian traffic police and in the administration of corrective labor institutions. 

Since 1992, he is the commander of the special purpose squadron. He took part in the hostages release during the Osettian-Ingush conflict and in the military mission in Chechnya.

Since 2002, he was the head of the operational administration of the Federal Penitentiary Service.

In 2007, he was appointed the First Deputy of the Federal Penitentiary Service Director.
Source: Labirint



In 2007, Petrukhin promised the President of the Chechen republic Ramzan Kadyrov that all Chechens who were convicted in the Russian regions would serve his sentence in Chechnya. The head of the republic said that “despite the fact that prisoners are people descended from the true way for various vital reasons, we mustn’t drop them off”. In turn, Eduard Petrukhin stressed that “they are ready to meet halfway the Chechen authorities and return all the prisoners for serving their sentence in the penitentiary system of the Czech Republic, except for those sentenced to life imprisonment”.

Source: ITAR-TASS, March 14, 2007

Within 5 years, from 2007, when Petrukhin was appointed first deputy director of the Federal Penitentiary Service (FSIN), there were more than 30 large riots and escapes of prisoners.

Source: RIA Novosti, April 20, 2012

In 2007-2008, the employee of the Federal Penitentiary Service Aramais Musaelyan, a private driver and assistant of the first deputy of the department Eduard Petrukhin, began to appear in the company of the thief in law Aslan Usoyan (Ded Hasan).

It became known that Musaelyan provided a variety of services to the chief but sometimes he also got help from him. Thus, his son was appointed inspector of the operative department of the Butyrskaya prison. Musaelyan Junior got an opportunity to influence many events that took place in that pre-trial detention centre (SIZO).

 According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, Aramais Musaelyan asked not only for his relatives but also for his other colleagues that were close to him, so that they would get higher posts. As a result, Usoyan’s people started to organize their underworld conventions straight in the places of deprivation of freedom. They dominated the prison’s drug business and were often released to freedom for so-called holidays and etc. It is obvious that Musaelyan’s resources alone wouldn’t be able to create such majestic living conditions for Ded Hasan’s people.

Musaelyan also played an important role when Aslan Usoyan started a war with his life-long enemy, thief-in-law Tariel Oniani in 2008. To expand the number of the members of his crime family, Ded Hasan started to recruit his followers in the places of deprivation of freedom. If they approved, their exaltation to the rank of thief-in-law took place right at the territory of the pre-trial detention centre and prison colonies. The local administration turned a blind eye to it, having the approval from the top.

Petrukhin, who was supposed to deal with this problem, didn’t respond the appeal from the Ministry of Internal Affairs for obvious reasons.

Musayelyan repeatedly received amounts in hundreds of thousands, and sometimes millions of dollars from the clan of Usoyan. The largest jackpot was snatched by Aramais and his patrons from the Federal Penitentiary Service during the beginning of the war between Usoyan and Oniani. The staff of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation argues that they found out that then Musayelyan received several tranches of $10 million, and also a mansion in Sochi. According to the witnesses, it is still possible to meet there on vacation some heads of FSIN of different ranks.

 In 2008, there was a conflict between Eduard Petrukhin and another deputy of the department Vladimir Semenyuk. As a result, the latter decided to attack one of the most important people of his opponent’s team, Aramais. His son received as a present a very expensive computer as a present from the wife of a thief-in-law being in Butyrka. The staff of FSB of the Russian Federation watching the young man detained him at the moment of receiving the gift. A criminal case was initiated against Musayelyan Junior under the article 290 (receiving a bribe). On a court sentence, he received five years and six months of imprisonment.  This story caused an enormous scandal within the Federal Penitentiary Service. Even Petrukhin’s influence could not help, and Aramais Musaelyan resigned. However, his resignation was just formal. Some sources in FSIN claim him to still be working under Eduard Petrukhin as his private driver and assistant but as an individual.

Various indulgences to be done for the imprisoned by orders of the administration drove up the wall employees of the colonies located in the Stavropol region. Their letter to the director of the Federal Penitentiary Service Gennadiy Kornienko appeared in Live Journal. In the address, they tell about the activities of the former head of UIS for the Southern Federal District Petrenko, who is considered a creature of Eduard Petrukhin.

“After two meetings with Petruhin which held in July, Petrenko is telling to everyone that he is in very confidential relations with Petrukhin, adding that Petrukhin at the moment really directs the FSIN, and the official director only holds a position of «Queen of England», a high title, but without any authority”, the staff colonies indicate.

Source: Paritet-press, August 17, 2012


A well known human rights activist from Ekaterinburg, member of the Public Oversight Commission for human rights observance in detention centers in Sverdlovsk region, the author of the documentary about torture in colonies Alexey Sokolov was arrested in May 2009. A year later, he was sentenced to 3 years of rigorous imprisonment for the crime which was allegedly committed five years ago.

Later the court of cassation reduced the sentence to three years. In the absence of any evidence, Sokolov's charge was built only on the testimony of recidivists who had previously stated that they had forced to give false testimony.
In his complaint in 2011, the human rights activist said that due to the transfer in Krasnoyarsk colony, his right to serve his sentence in the region of residence and the right to protection and to respect for private and family life was violated. However, the Leninsky Court of Yekaterinburg refused to satisfy his complaint.
As argued by Sokolov, the order for his transportation to the Krasnoyarsk region for serving the sentence was approved by the Deputy Director of the Federal Penitentiary Service Eduard Petrukhin, and it had been done before the sentence was announced.

Source: Kasparov.Ru, May 6, 2011

In 2011, the appearance of the former head of Menatep Platon Lebedev in prison in Velsk passed unnoticed. However, according to the data, the forthcoming prison transferring of the person involved in the Yukos case had become known a week before his arrival. During the week-end before the transferring of Lebedev to the prison colony, the special inspection arrived there. According to some reports, it was headed by the first deputy of the FSIN, Lieutenant General Eduard Petrukhin; on another data, it was the Chief of Operational Administration of the FSIN, Major General Alexander Shcherbakov, who had inspected the site of the future imprisonment of Khodorkovsky in Karelia.

Source:, June 28, 2011


In 2011, at the Chelyabinsk Regional Court, where the case on the murder of the prisoners in the Kopeysk colony No.1 was being considered, the pretrial publicity of written materials of the case and examination of evidence was held.
In particular, it became known that in the first days after the tragedy, the accused former head of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia for the Chelyabinsk Region Vladimir Zhidkov phoned the director of the FSIN, now a member of the Federation Council, Yuri Kalinin three times, as well as he phoned Eduard Petrukhin four times. In response, Eduard Petrukhin contacted Zhidkov four times. In total, from May 31 to June 2, 2008, 15 defendant general’s calls to the talkers in Moscow were fixed. The representative of four victims, lawyer Igor Sholokhov reported about it to the Inter-regional human rights AGORA Association.

Source: Public control, November 11, 2011

In the Sverdlovsk region, the Kirovograd colony №2 (juvie) started a rebellion, and the security opened fire against the prisoners. The riot was suppressed, some people were killed. In the Leningrad region, prisoners went on mass hunger strike in Fornosovskaya colony No. 3.
In Leningrad region, in the settlement Metallostroy, there was a rebellion in the colony No. 5. The special purpose squadron Tayfun was sent there for suppression. During those events, one of the prisoners got killed. Prisoners of the pre-trial detention centre Kresty in Saint-Petersburg went on hunger strike. A conflict was in the juvie (colony of youngsters) in the Samara region. All these events occurred within just one month of 2011.
The administration of the Federal Penitentiary Service made a number of statements. First Deputy Director of the Federal Penitentiary Service Eduard Petrukhin put forward an exotic version of “the fault of the TV series “Zone” and “Platinum” on the lives of prisoners telling about the situation in imprisonment places in distorted form which have a negative effect on the behavior of juvenile criminals”.
However, from the evidence it is clear that the situation in Kirovohrad juvie was very explosive long before the events of October. Two months earlier, the prisoners conducted a relatively peaceful act of disobedience. The administration of the colony responded with repressions, and that led to the bloody events. A similar riot occurred in Metallostroy colony which had a bad reputation for a long time. According to the prisoners themselves, the row began after it had become known about the beating of prisoners in the punishment cell.

Source: Novaya Gazeta, November 12, 2007

On September 26, 2012, Natalia Magnitskaya, the mother of the lawyer of the Hermitage Capital fund Sergei Magnitsky, who died in remand prison in 2009, asked the Investigation Committee to file a criminal case against Prosecutor General Yury Chaika. She accused him of not considering the complaints, requests, and petitions of Sergei Magnitsky and his lawyers addressed on his name. The former Chief of the Investigative Committee of the Ministry of Internal Affairs Alexey Anichin, who lost his job just this summer by order of President Dmitry Medvedev, ignored Magnitsky and his defense as well.

Magnitskaya believes that Anichin and Chaika should be brought to justice upon the “criminal negligence”. “The overwhelming number of complaints (there were about 400 of them in total) not only remained unanswered, but, as it turns out, they were not even registered. The remaining complaints of Magnitsky were declined”, she said. From FSIN, two deputy heads of penitentiary department appear in the list of “guilty”: Vladimir Semenyuk who had already changed his job and Eduard Petrukhin. According to Magnitskaya, they made the decision to move her son from Butyrka to Matrosskaya Tishina, where the lawyer died.

Source: Moscow News, August 28, 2012


In late July 2012, the staff of the Ministry of Internal Affairs detained participants of a meeting of thieves in law in the Moscow region. About a dozen of “criminal generals”, including George Sorokin (Jora Tashkent), Vladimir Ozersky (Zyuzya), Alexey Zabavin (Zabava), gathered in Elektrougli city. According to investigators of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russia, the thieves were extremely encouraged by the personnel changes which had taken place in the FSIN. Especially they were inspired by the fact that the former influence came back to the First Deputy Minister Eduard Petrukhin while the operational management of the Federal Penitentiary Service was headed by his close friend Andrey Serdyukov.
Neither the meeting subject nor its participants cause the detectives surprise. In due time, Zhora Tashkentsky and Zyuzya were detained for commission of crimes, received terms, but managed to get to the colonies chosen personally by them. There they behaved royally, established channels for the supply of drugs, and then were released on parole. They were able to do it with the help of a well-known to the thieves-in-law Aramais Musayelyan, who had been working as Petruhin’s private driver and personal assistant for a long time.

The “commercial office” of FSIN provides for thieves-in-law another service –exclusive staying in a pre-trial detention center. For example, in the Butyrskaya prison the son of Aramais Musayelyan was the one responsible for the “criminal generals” being contented with everything. He had a great influence in the prison so he decided to “shake” other prisoners, not related to the “thieves’ world”. But he got caught on it. It is noteworthy that the other son of the driver of Eduard Petruhina - Sergey Musayelyan - also had problems with the law. In 2001, Moscow's Lefortovo court sentenced him to three years' probation for the fact that he hit a man with a knife with hooligan motives.

Source: Paritet Press, August 28, 2012